Ending Sexual Harassment and Violence in Third Level Education (ESHTE)
To prevent and combat sexual harassment and violence and build a culture of zero tolerance in third level institutions throughout Europe through building a feminist understanding and analysis of the causes and effects of sexual harassment and violence.
Women students have the right to live and study in an environment free from all forms of sexual harassment and violence. They must be supported and empowered and should have trust in their institution to uphold their rights.
Who is working together?
The National Women’s Council of Ireland (NWCI) is leading the ESHTE project with project partners Mediterranean Institute of Gender Studies (MIGS) in Cyprus, The Women’s Issues Information Centre (WIIC) in Lithuania, Rape Crisis Scotland (RCS) and The Women’s Equality Commissioner, Ludwig-Maximilian University Munich in Germany. Each project partner is working with higher education institutions, both staff and students, statutory agencies and NGO’s focused on combatting sexual violence and harassment against women. The project is funded by the European Commission: Directorate-General, Justice & Consumers: Daphne III. For more on the Project’s core partners click here.
How will we do this work?
The It Stops Now campaign will raise awareness of the prevalence of gender-based harassment and violence in third level education and seeks to engage both staff and students to combat all forms of harassment and violence against women students. We will work to ensure there is a coherent framework driving clear reporting and disclosure mechanisms, resourcing strong support services and ensuring long-term, sustainable interventions.
National Women’s Council of Ireland (lead)
- Dublin City University SU
- Dublin Institute of Technology SU
- Dundalk Institute of Technology SU
- Institute of Art Design and Technology Dún Laoghaire SU
- Queen’s University Belfast SU
- Trinity College Dublin SU
- University College Cork SU
- University College Dublin SU
- University of Limerick SU
- Union of Students of Ireland
- An Garda Síochána
- Cosc- National Office for the Prevention of Domestic, Sexual and Gender-based Violence
Higher Education Institutions
- Dublin City University
- Dublin Institute of Technology
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Institute of Art Design and Technology Dún Laoghaire
- Queen’s University Belfast
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Cork
- University College Dublin
- University of Limerick
Non-Governmental and Support Organisations
- Dublin Rape Crisis Centre
- Sexual Violence Centre Cork
- Irish Observatory on Violence Against Women
- Irish Student Health Association
- Confederation of Student Services in Ireland